Things to listen to!

For this Music Monday I thought it would be hip to just post some mp3s for you to listen to. Some will be from Speedy, Jimmy and Bill, but others will be songs that I think might add some context for how to listen to the music that these gentlemen famous.

02 Salt Peanuts this recording is an example of the jazz that was played primarily by African-Americans beginning from the late 40s. The musicians are Dizzy Gillespie (trumpet), Charlie ‘Bird’ Parker (alto sax), Bud Powell (piano), Charles Mingus (bass), Max Roach (drums)

29 Country Capers Here is Speedy & Jimmy recorded around the same time as Salt Peanuts

What differences do you hear between the two recordings? Why?

01 Black Codes This song is composed and performed by Wynton Marsalis, a trumpeter who is a contemporary of Bill Frisell’s and provides an interesting look at how different jazz was in the 80s!

10 I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry Bill Frisell’s rendition of a country classic combining jazz and country in his own unique way!

I’m looking forward to meeting you all in the coming weeks. If you have any questions or comments please let me know!

Mark

www.marklomaxii.com